Dr. Unnant Pandit- M.Sc. Ph.D., LLB, PGDPL, BCJP, Exec. GMP (IIM Lucknow)
Dr. Unnant Pandit has been appointed as OSD of Union Minister of State (IC) for Commerce and Industry Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman. Analysis is thankful to him for taking out time from his busy schedule for the interview.
- How would you like to introduce yourself to the readers? Please tell us a bit about your background.
- I am a professional with focus to work in the area of intellectual property rights, innovation and knowledge management, scientific and techno-commercial activities, management of activities under corporate social responsibilities.
- I have acquired my technical academic education acquiring Ph.D. in the field of Medicinal Chemistry wherein I have carried out my doctoral research work in design and development of novel antibiotic molecules.
- I have also perused management education through executive program offered by IIM Lucknow and the legal education, post graduate diploma in IP law from Gujarat University and NALSAR University respectively. I have also acquired formal education in journalism to further sharpen my literature and communication skills.
- I was also member of IPR Think Tank who assigned task to draft the national IPR policy for India.
- Why did you opt for the study of law? Did you find any legal professional in your family and friends?
- I have never aimed to become lawyer and also I am not a lawyer too. However, study of law is important as major milestone and beyond the professional path in my career.
The study of law helped me in sharpening my skills in,
- my research and particularly evaluating the IP where analysis of case studies are important to derive the conclusion,
- my critical analysis skills and making own mind for IP profession, it is important to develop foresight to read and analyze between the lines which is extremely important in techno-legal domain,
- being law students, the legal education has developed my communication skills to deal with complex and fabricated issues which never visualize or exist in market as on date but the future of such issues are bit complex
- helped me in presenting the facts in logical manner and working for societies in pro bono manner, offering legal advice to real innovators who desperately need.
- What were your objectives and plans in the preliminary years of your college life?
- In initial stage of my college life, I was an active student leader and was engaged in student movements to nurture the potential of youth of our country positively and in patriotic way.
- Later, I realized this is not just my objective alone, studies are equally important so I have focused on designing my academic career. I have already shared with you about my studies. Friends, remember the quote of Dr. Kalam, “Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough”. Make it reality if you want to establish yourself as successful in life.
- Remember the quote of Dr. Abdul Kalam to achieve the success as reality in life, “All Birds find shelter during a rain, but Eagle avoids rain by flying above the Clouds.”
- What extra-curricular activities did you take part in that helped you in overall development and what were the reasons that created your interest in Indian politics?
- Along with academic activities, the co-curricular activities has equally played important role in my overall development; as I said, I was actively engaged in student movements of ABVP – a world’s largest student organization. The activities related to, personality development camps, study circles, rural training camps and many more like… I was actively engaged which developed organizing those program and its management skills. The early age exposure of management is credit to my engagement in ABVP activities.
- You have been appointed as OSD of Union Minister of State (IC) for Commerce and Industry Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman, let our readers know about the present trend in the Commerce and Industrial sector in India
- The ministry functions through directions of Union Minister of State (IC) for Commerce and Industry Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman which under the leadership of beloved Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi is committed to give transparent and people centric governance. The ministry has implemented many schemes to boost the economy of country. The well known schemes successfully implemented by Commerce and Industry Ministry are, ‘Make in India’, ‘Standup India’, e-governance initiatives as well as reviving the manufacturing sector and freight corridors, trade policy reforms which has boost the FDI investments in India. The Twitter handle with #MOCIESEVA has responded ~99.7% queries on time which is highest when compared with other ministries.
6. You have written books on Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam, tell our readers something about your books?
· Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam and his vision for India have positively motivated me. On 27 July 2015, Dr. Kalam has started his eternal journey departing from earth. I along with my family visited his official residence 10, Rajaji Marg in New Delhi and stood for over 3.5 hrs to perform his last darshan and pay our tribute.
· I explained my son,
o Why people are coming to pay tribute to him?
o What is the contribution of Dr. Kalam in building strength of our indigenous defense missile technology and our defense system?
o What was Dr. Kalam’s vision for our country?
o What should be done to make Dr. Kalam’s vision a reality for India?
· Unfortunately just before 10 ft from the room where his body was kept for darshan, the crowd became impassioned and unmanageable so we could not able to pay our tribute to him.
· I thought that students and youth of our country were close to Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam’s heart so let me write something dedicating to them. My diary writing came out in the form of book.
· The book has been forwarded by Prof. Arun Tiwari Ji who wrote few books along with Dr. Kalam and also blessed by Shri Mohan Bhagwat Ji, Sirsanghchalak of Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh and legendary actor Shri Amitabh Bachchan.
7. When did you release your books, can you share something about the book release event?
· The books were released on 27 July 2016 (i.e. on First death anniversary of Dr. Kalam) by Union Minister of Defence Shri Manohar Parrikar, and Union Minister of HRD Shri Prakash Javadekar along with other dignitaries.
· They have released my three books entitled, “Dr Kalam, Prerna ki Udaan” in Hindi by Prabhat Prakashan, “Do You Know Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam” in English by Grapevine Publication and “Prerna Nu Zarnu : Dr Abdul Kalam” in Gujarati language by Rashtra Aaradhan wherein all three books were written to pay tribute to Dr. Kalam.
· Later, the books were also presented to Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi ji who appreciated the way I have offered tribute to Dr. Kalam and also for my attempt in nurture the creative talent of our country with positive inspiration from Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam’s life. The book is written with the target readership among students and youth of our country.
8. What would be your parting message to our readers?
· Our beloved Dr APJ Abdul Kalam was the one among the luminaries of India whose life as renowned scientist, thinker, philosopher and teacher is always going to inspire every Indian.
· The immense contribution of Dr. Kalam as aeronautical engineer in India’s Defence Research and Development, Missile Engineering, Satellite Launch Vehicle Technology will always be remembered. His life, career and writings has inspired generations of Indians, and even after his demise, he will always live in our heart as ‘People’s President’ and ‘Missile Man’, and will continually ignited our minds towards duty to society and nation.
· During his lifetime, Dr Kalam had always expressed his wish to be remembered as a teacher. Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam departed a year back but still we feel that Dr. Kalam is present in the imaginations of children, in the innovations of youth, in aspirations of adults, in the inventions of scientists and in the vision of our India. His life as simple, noble, hones and humble personality is great source of inspiration for every citizen in country. Every Indian has a lot more to learn from his life.
Analysis wishes you best of luck for your future endeavors!
Interview reported by: Jinendra Parakh, Executive Editor (Analysis)